jkeny wrote:
> If the test is inherently skewed towards producing null results unless
> very carefully administered by professionals with expertise in the area
> of perceptual testing, then repeating it ad-nauseum will not make any
> difference - you will consistently get null results

For an example of a test that is highly skewed towards producing null
results, let's take the classic casual sighted audiophile evaluation:

(1) There is no immediate fixed reference, so all results are
essentially junk whether the listener realizes it or not.  Obvious bias
towards null or random results.

(2) Levels aren't matched so the mismatched levels wash out the ability
to reliably perceive small differences. Obvious bias towards null or
random results.

(3) Changeovers are excruciatingly slow, so people forget what the
equipment being compared actually sounds like. Obvious bias towards null
or random results.

(4) The music being listened to is constantly changing, and is often the
largest source of perceived differences. Obvious bias towards null or
random results.

(5) If we weren't telling the listener constantly what he is actually
listening to, he'd notice that based on sound, he has not a clue.
Obvious bias towards null or random results.