jh901 wrote:
> I'd still like to know if DACs were perfected prior to the Transporter.
> This notion that there is a singular perfected sound ("transparent") is
> interesting.  I do appreciate the logic that either universally accepted
> "transparency" has either been achieved or else there is design flaw.
> Who can argue against that!?

I do believe universal transparency has been achieved for small signal
electronics at least a decade ago . But their can still be gain and
noise issues when combining stuff .

The logic is that if two products has a s/n ratio of -110 dB and 0.003%
distortion and flat frequency response they are going to sound darn
similar or probably exactly the same .

However there are designs that are not transparent , but deliberately
colouring the sound ,NOS dacs or some tube designs for example .that
would be ok if they was marketed as such " come listening to our ear
pleasing distortion " . But instead they are sold to audiophiles with
fancy words as in some magical way being" better " .

in some sad cases the designer himself is affected by the audiophile
believe system and may have designed the whole product "by ear"
switching components randomly and used sighted testing to verify and
made the mess some products are . If you read stereophile read the
measurement appendix .

Due to the way recordings are done it's no guarantee that everyone would
be happy with a transparent product , if the recording sound bad it's
sounds bad that's it . Here some goodl old fashioned tone controls could
be handy :)

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )