darrenyeats wrote:
> Some dodgy technical claims in recent posts.
>
> 1. DACs with ">16 bit performance" don't keep that performance when
> employing digital volume control (to be clear I'm not arguing against
> digital volume control, in fact I'm a fan, nevertheless the observation
> stands).
>
> 2. In audio recording and reproduction the signal passes through a long
> chain of processes and components. Even if one component could be
> transparent, it could still play its part in audible artifacts in an
> ensemble. I can think of mic, mic preamp, ADC, studio digital effects
> (multiple, perhaps many), mixing, mastering, downsampling, DAC, preamp,
> amp, active crossover. That's 11 off the top of my head. Stack 11
> transparent windows upon each other, they may very well not be
> transparent. Even if transparency was achievable for a component in
> isolation, that's not actually good enough.
>
> Darren

1. In practice I think it's ok the best practical DAC's are 20-21 bits
anyway so chucking the first 4 bits does nothing . And hearing better
than >16 bits is very hard so but already the volume starts to get low .
And then when you starts nagging at the 16 bits the volume is really low
( if the gain of system is properly set up ) and with modern dither it
expresses itself as random noise .
I'm also a fan of digital volume . The one in the squeezeboxes are
undithered ? So I use that with care , but the one in my meridian system
is dithered properly . This is a bit academic these issues are greatly
prefered before an analog volume pot with all its nonlinearities
,channel balance anyone ? Now try that with a digital 5.1 system with
active xover that's 11 volume controls that should track precisely I
don't see any other solution than going digital .
And the noise floor on many recordings is bordering on something like 13
bits anyway.....

2. Yes i'm with you over design in the whole path is preferable , the
recording engineer may for example not do a good job and don't fully
utilise the performance of his kit . So this is designed in marginal .
I'm very happy with components with >100dB snr . Stacking components
with 70db snr would not be good . Besides depending on system gain you
may amplify input noise everywhere . Analogy ,PA systems they have
excellent snr ,but if you are close to the speakers you hear noise and
hum anyway , the gain is massive ( when the band starts playing I
usually back off a couple of rows to not shot my ear completely :) )
But you can't asses that with sighted wine taster like testing :) hence
measurements is necessary when the individual components are below our
hearing threshold .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )