Some dodgy technical claims in recent posts.

1. DACs with ">16 bit performance" don't keep that performance when
employing digital volume control (to be clear I'm not arguing against
digital volume control, in fact I'm a fan, nevertheless the observation
stands).

2. In audio recording and reproduction the signal passes through a long
chain of processes and components, therefore inaudibility of each link
in the chain doesn't imply the chain is inaudible ... far from it! In
other words, even if one component could be transparent, it could still
play its part in audible artifacts in an ensemble. I can think of mic,
mic preamp, ADC, studio digital effects (multiple, perhaps many),
mixing, mastering, downsampling, DAC, preamp, amp, active crossover,
speaker. That's 12 off the top of my head. Stack 12 transparent windows
upon each other, they may very well not be transparent.

Darren

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch