ralphpnj wrote:
> Although it hasn't been mentioned as yet but since you state that you
> are doing this for own enlightenment I suggest that you fully explore
> the used equipment market such as ebay and audiogon. Should it turn out
> that tube sound is not for you then hopefully you can then resell the
> equipment without taking a big monetary hit. One of the great things
> about audiophiles is that so many of them are always chasing this year's
> "ultimate" whatever that lots of last year's "ultimate" whatevers are
> always showing up on the used market.

Very true.  However, tube gear seems to hold its value better than solid
state.  Probably due to the fact that the bog-standard EL34 pentode
circuit matured 50+ years ago, and the value is all in the transformers.
A 20 year old tube amp is going to hold more of its original value than
is a 20 year old SS amp.  Kinda like quartz watches vs automatics (the
parallel there holds to several levels). Pretty much any cheap tube
integrated is a Dynaco Stereo 70 at its core, and ST70s sell for more
today than when they were new.

Jason