doctor_big wrote:
> Very true.  However, tube gear seems to hold its value better than solid
> state.  Probably due to the fact that the bog-standard EL34 pentode
> circuit matured 50+ years ago, and the value is all in the transformers.
> A 20 year old tube amp is going to hold more of its original value than
> is a 20 year old SS amp.  Kinda like quartz watches vs automatics (the
> parallel there holds to several levels).

That is a good point - just like some classic cars are now going for way
more than they were worth when new, while others can be had for peanuts
- it is all a question of perception, desirability and
"collectability".

> Pretty much any cheap tube integrated is a Dynaco Stereo 70 at its core,
> and ST70s sell for more today than when they were new.

I guess the last big development in tube amps was the change to
semiconductor rectifiers in the power supplies - but it is funny how
some modern tube amps now have microprocessors (with hundreds of
thousands of transistors) just to automatically adjust the bias and
switch the inputs...

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953