cliveb wrote:
> OK, since you're doing needle drops it certainly makes sense to have the
> ability to easily change cartridges to find the best match. That said,
> what's more important is having the ability to change stylus profiles.
> Assuming these are used LPs you're transferring, they will have groove
> degradation brought about by previous playing. Finding a stylus profile
> that tracks an undamaged section of groove wall can be one of the most
> useful starting points when digitizing vinyl. So if you are going to
> have a bunch of cartridges, see if you can get different stylus types in
> them, ie. spherical (sometimes called conical), elliptical,
> hyper-elliptical (sometimes called fine-line).
>

> 16/44.1 is certainly more than adequate to capture the signal that comes
> off any vinyl record. (True, there is sometimes some kind of output
> above 20kHz, but it's nearly all noise and distortion).
>

> That bothers me. It implies that you are encoding to MP3 or FLAC in real
> time as you digitize the LP. This is not really a sensible option. Even
> if you're not interested in restoration as such, you will want to be
> able to do at least cursory editing of the recording, eg. trimming off
> unwanted lead-in/lead-out, some kind of normalisation, etc. If you're
> doing that from MP3 in an audio editor, you'll be going through a
> decode/encode process each time you load and save the file,which you
> really want to avoid. If it's FLAC, the decode/encode step is benign.
> But there may be some useful tools out there that only work on
> uncompressed WAV files, so it makes sense to do everything in WAV format
> until you're ready to do a final encoding to FLAC.
>
> Having said all the above, 320kbps MP3 is almost always audibly
> transparent, so if you've already done a ton of transfers, think hard
> before going to all the trouble of re-doing them.

VinylStudio records in WAV. From that you apply track splits and noise
correction and then and only then do you create MP3 or FLAC. The pure
WAV files can be retained.
I started out years ago using SpinItAgain to create MP3 but haven't got
all the background WAVs as I have changed PCs two or three times as well
as moving from Phono to 3.5mm jack into sound card to USB DACs.
I shall not be replacing good MP3s only those from the very early days
that need it.
I can hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC since Xmas when SWMBO
bought me a pair of B&W P7s. They are awesome for the price!

*Vortexbox LMS 7.8 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS* -
iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
*Living Room* - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 connected Digitally - > Celestion
Ditton F20s - and connected Analogue for Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 ->
Sennheiser RS 130
*Office* - SB3 -> Sony TA FE320 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 ->
Wharfedale Modus Cubes