marcoc1712 wrote:
> Crazy audiophiles believe NOS ladder R2R DAC sounds better. Unless you
> think all dacs sound the same, in that case no way you could heard
> wav/flac differences, no ASRC here, sure.
>
> Noise (yes, rumor was a naive translation from italian) come from signal
> line but also from power supply, ground paths and even EMI, RFI and
> vibrations, as in any other analogue device, why should not in the
> output stage of our beloved dac? Sure some device are better than
> others, also in this aspect.

Yes, analog stages of DACs definitely differ, and some are more
susceptible to noise than others. But would that noise depend on the
data format?

This is where science and engineering comes in. Let's take the two most
common "theories" (I'd rather call them "speculation") - 1) jitter is a
major factor in the resulting sound, and jitter can be affected by the
source and data format used, and 2) the source (and the data format
used) is affecting the DAC through electrical noise conducted from the
source to the DAC.

The way the scientific method works is that you formulate tests, based
on your theories, that can validate or invalidate your theory. In the
case of jitter, DACs with ASRCs and fifo buffers should perform much
better than DACs without them (albeit the ones with ASRCs might have
other sound quality issues). Do we see a clear pattern of people
preferring DACs with ASRCs and buffers? Do they do better in listening
tests? In the case of electrical noise, do we find that systems using
optical connections generally sound better than systems using electrical
connections?

I think the answer to both questions is "no".

It is good to have an open mind,  but that doesn't mean abandoning
scientific thinking in favour of faith and dogma.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953