ralphpnj wrote:
> "Better" is a huge, gaping rabbit hole into which many audiophiles fall
> and on which much of the high end audio business is based.
>
> By moving all equipment evaluation into the world of opinion, i.e. this
> piece of equipment sounds better than that piece of equipment, all the
> evaluations become equally valid and thus beyond criticism. In other
> words, all the evaluations are equally pointless.
>
> In the case of sound of wav files versus flac files there are NO
> differences but there appears to be many opinions stating that wav files
> sound "better" than flac files. So what Julf is rightly asking is how is
> that "better" evaluation being determined since from a purely objective
> standpoint there are NO differences between the two files.
>
> For some strange reason I can never get over the fact of why believing
> in scientifically proven facts is considered an "opinion". So for
> example, would my belief that 2+2=4 be considered an opinion and subject
> to the same debate as say my opinion that "Unforgiven" is the best Clint
> Eastwood movie? Get the point?

No, and this is a really wrong argument because:

1. 2+2=4 is because 2, +, = and 4 are concept, not real objects, have
you ever observed a 2? or some 'equal' in real world? No, they lives in
the platonic world and only there 2 is always equal 2.

2. I'm noy aware of any "science" actually sayng flac and wav sound the
same (at the analog rca output of the dac), Archimago says the
difference is under 90db, so is inaudible. (2 is not really like 2 here,
but from his point of view it does not matter...sure?).

3. 90 db SNR is actually a not so good result for a dac, so what? Does
anybody could distinguish between a 90 db SNR dac and a 140 one? Not
sure, but then why we admit there is a reason to look for a 140 db SNR
DAC if  90 db are enougth to be completely inaudible?  Oh, sure, 140 is
greather than 90...

Some rumors is inaudible also at -30db, when others (related with the
signal) are nasty, so a difference 'could be' in place well over the
limit of a modern, well designed DAC.

NOTE that nobody here is talking about difference in bit, sure the
contents in bit is (if not in broken systems) the same, but again, here
"bits are the same" is true only because we are figuring 'symbols' of
information, not the actual signal being moved from files to the dac and
then processed, in this case they are NEVER the same, is the way it
works.

Your (and others) absolute certainty that "sound of wav files versus
flac files there are NO differences" come from where? Could you report
proofs that is always EXACTLY as 2 = 2 in every system? I don't think
so.

I, by me, I could admit that in many systems the difference is inaudible
to me, but not in mine and some others I've listen to.