arnyk wrote:
> Key to the audiophile credibility for such weirdness is the fact that
> audiophiles in general rarely hear live music, they avoid good listening
> tests, and that they can never properly audition the live feed from a
> good microphone or the console at a live performance.
That is probably true, but for the vast majority the enjoyability of
listening to music at home has little to do with whether it is a good
facsimile of what you'd hear live. It's a completely different
experience, and it is either enjoyable or it isn't in and of itself.

Case in point: the live music that I attend is typically rock concerts,
and frankly the sound quality at such events is woeful. The thing that
renders live rock concerts enjoyable is the presentation, not the sound.
The last thing I'd want to hear at home is something akin to what I hear
live. I acknowledge that live classical and acoustic jazz are probably
different, but they form a tiny fraction of what gets listened to at
home.

Note: I am NOT defending audiophiles' belief in the impossible. Like
you, I think they are barking mad. Just wanted to make that clear.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A