Julf wrote:
> To quote one of my smarter friends: "People engage with music for a huge
> spectrum of reasons, some more consistent with the artist's motivations
> and intentions than others. There absolutely is a "wacko nosebleed
> contingent" of "audio enthusiasts" for whom reason has long-since left
> the building and who are engaged in delusional imaginings about things
> and effects which cannot possibly exist in either this world or the
> next. This behavior is strongly encouraged by a relatively small segment
> of the equipment suppliers whose guile and cunning would make PT Barnum
> die of envy. But "disgustibus non disputantum" - those two communities
> have agreed as consenting adults to reciprocate with each other to their
> apparent mutual satisfaction, and as long as they don't scare the horses
> and exhibit a modicum of decorum, the hyperventilated ravings in the
> audio rags can be quite amusing. To the degree, however, that the
> success of this market manipulation flows downstream such that it
> impacts the availability of high-quality, rationally-priced audio kit
> for those of less blingful means, that becomes a real problem."

I think that this is good time to once restate how the world of consumer
audio and the world of high end consumer audio revolve around completely
different suns.

While the high end audio world wrings their collective hands over things
like DSD vs. PCM, standard resolution vs. high resolution, USB vs
asynchronous USB, flac vs. wav, etc. the consumer audio world listens to
mp3s of dynamically compressed music on their smartphones streamed via
Bluetooth to a set of Beats headphones, that is when their not listening
to low bit rate mp3 streams from Pandora. Once the gray haired middle
aged old farts who are the present day high end audio consumers die off
so will high end audio. Consumer audio long ago won the war it's just
that no one has informed the high end audio world of this simple fact.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos