All fair points about capability of humans. But the capability of the
machines is much higher, so in my view why not master at 24 bit anyway?
The "massive" increase in data storage is utterly trivial actually and
if it helps one engineer avoid clipping or pull a badly levelled track
out of digital noise it's probably worth it.
Speaking as a photographer I love how my 8 bit per component jpgs look
on my screen, but I don't think twice about shooting in 14 bit per pixel
raw because the latitude you gain on post shooting exposure adjustment
is huge.