Mnyb wrote:
> Short version.
> I believe in digital tranfer methods so much that i dont atribute "
> analog characterists " to them ( ie sweeter treble ).
> And they work perfectly and transparently with good spec normal cables
> nothingfancy needed.
> The asyncrounus tranfers merhods and mostly the ethernet protocoll is so
> robust that it works fine even with out of spec cables as long as its
> fast enogh the Data gets corrected and buffered anyway .
> Spdiff with its 1979 origin is somewhat timing sensitive .
> Another funny thing spdiff should really use bnc conectors but most
> audibrands scrap that because the impedance mismatch you get with RCA
> dont rock the boat on these very short distances .
> You are aware of the test where someone used a straightened out steel
> coat hanger instead of 1m spdiff . It worked just fine

All totally correct. We should all be aware there are far more critical
applications out there, bit would be unacceptable (which is why one also
has correction and error detection codes thrown in). The stuff works,
period. And there's absolutely no way the same identical digital frame
will sound better in analog because of any characteristic of the digital
signal. It just doesn't happen.

That said, I still like better-than-basic Toslink cables in my system. I
think it was about $100 and simply looks prettier. And no, I never spent
a minute comparing it with the old basic Toslink cable. As to Ethernet,
yes, I also pick better quality cables, but would never waste money on
anything that makes esoteric audio claims. To me it's just about a
quality connector so it doesn't break or introduce some weird effect (I
have had bad Ethernet cables).  I have also at times been told I wasted
my money on my DAC (not that it's anything esoteric) because I wouldn't
been able to tell the difference compared to a decent $300 DAC. The fact
of the matter was that I didn't pick the Benchmark for sound quality - I
picked it for future proof input-output choices, lots of them. :-) I
replaced a big, hefty $7k CD player I was only using as a DAC with the
Benchmark, and never worried for a second about a decrease in sound
quality, either.

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 12) running Ubuntu 16.04
+ LMS 7.9
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado
PS500e/Shure 1540