philippe_44 wrote:
> As a (very) occasional reader (and even less commenter) of such threads,
> I'm afraid that it's hopeless to try to give the correct explanation.
> Most people do not understand the fundamental difference between
> analogue and digital. As said in another thread, you can chose to
> represent your binary information using orange vs apple, black smoke vs
> white smoke, any sort of modulated radiowave, light (which is the same)
> or any support you want, as long as you use the proper error correction
> code (and theory of information give you all the mathematical tools to
> chose the right one), this does not change anything. The support/carrier
> does not influence the information, where in analogue it does.

Indeed. The DAC is about the D in the first iteration... and any signal
is the same in D, and the initial conversion to A follows the
universally accepted Nyquist rule... so we have a perfect reproduction
of the original signal thanks to Nyquist. Q1: Does anyone dispute that?
OK. then we move on and send down the A(nalog) of the equation down the
chain. OK, here things get chancier. Digital is predictable, analog is
harder. Here we get into noise and signal separation and what not. Ugh.
Q2: Does anyone dispute the really relevant letter in DAC is the A? And
that there, it's not just about the DAC chip, but the entire A
subsystem?

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 12) running Ubuntu 16.04
+ LMS 7.9
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado
PS500e/Shure 1540