Golden Earring wrote:
> True, but I thought the Sony engineers enjoyed a challenge! You could
> say that 44.1kHz is an odd choice of sampling frequency, but they stuck
> with that one...

Well, yes... The 44.1 kHz stems from video technology, especially
Betamax. 44.1 kHz happens to be a convenient rate for both 50 Hz (3
samples per scan line) and 60 Hz video frame refresh rates.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953