Golden Earring wrote:
> I happily accept all the above criticisms of LP's....
>
> Mahler [....] I don't think that he would have been impressed by the
> quality of recorded music on LP, but I should imagine that he would have
> been astonished that it was possible to do it at all.
On the contrary, I suspect that if Mahler had heard a good vinyl LP of
his music being played through a decent system, he would have been
spellbound.

Golden Earring wrote:
> You know the old gag about the singing dog: it's not that the singing is
> good, it's that it happens at all that's remarkable.
Your post carries an undercurrent that implies that vinyl LP is pretty
ropey but it was the best we had at the time, and that the fact it works
at all is the most remarkable thing about it.

But let's be realistic. Despite its technical flaws and limitations,
vinyl LPs can sound absolutely fabulous. Some of my most enjoyable
listening experiences have been from vinyl LPs. A small but not
insignificant proportion of my FLAC collection is needle drops. Musical
excellence transcends the delivery medium.

We know that the LP system is a complete dog's dinner compared to CD,
and yet it can give just as much enjoyment. I think this probably says
more about the limitations of the human auditory system than it does
about the engineering achievement.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A