Golden Earring wrote:
> I do think that extracting anything approaching a convincing rendition
> of (say) Mahler's 2nd symphony from a spiral groove on a thin vinyl disc
> is more of a technological triumph than performing the same trick from
> zillions of individual "0"s & "1"s, although both are pretty astounding
> really - I wonder what Gustav himself would have made of it all.

Interesting you chose Mahler 2.

So you're saying having to split the symphony onto four sides of two
lp's, including splitting the final movement into two parts (something
I'm sure Mahler himself would have disapproved of) is a technological
triumph?

Should I mention wear over time?

Tracing error?

End of side mistracking?

Sure, it needs two CD's so can't be listened to without changing discs,
but with a streamer this is no longer a problem.

Classical on vinyl was awful and it was no surprise that it vanished in
1990.