Golden Earring wrote:
> I'm a little surprised by the dynamic range you ascribe to an orchestral
> concert performance, but again you've probably got more experience of
> measuring it than me. I'll put it down to the bloke with the cough 3
> rows back. Why they don't issue cough pastilles at the box office has
> always baffled me. All I can say is that I've heard some pretty loud
> crescendos at the orchestral concerts I've attended to listen to (as
> opposed to record & hence measure in the process).

Some simple numbers: If we ignore dither, 16 bits gives you a dynamic
range of 96 dB. I really don't think even the loudest crescendo of any
acoustic concert exceeds 120 dB  (an amplified concert of a band such as
Manowar is a different issue, but I would never attend one of their
concerts without professional hearing protectors). The background noise
in even the quietest concert venue is more than 35 dB. That still leaves
11 dB of margin.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953