DLD-UK wrote:
> I purchased "so called" audio grade USB and Network cables at a hifi
> show. Wasn't expecting to hear any difference and I never tested them
> against normal cables to see, but I'm glad I bought them. They were on
> offer at the show and cost no more than the equivalent computer cables.
> The company admitted that they hardly ever sell any which is why they
> were practically giving them away.
>
> So, why am I glad I bought them? Simple, it makes wiring so much easier
> when the cable looks nothing like any of the others.
>
> What I am curious about is the categories on network cables. My audio
> network cables are Cat 8. I know Cat 8 supports longer distancing and
> better shielding but my question is what impact does shielding have in
> normal circumstances?
>
> As they were so cheap I thought I had nothing to loose as I use them in
> a location with loads of other equipment. I know things like microwave
> ovens can have a significant impact with interference but has anyone
> noticed an impact on lower specified network cables? I'm thinking in
> terms of drop outs or buffering etc.?

A concise, readable and accurate discussion on why TCP/IP works so
reliably can be found at
http://www.myreadingroom.co.in/notes-and-studymaterial/68-dcn/853-error-control-in-tcp.html.
I quote "TCP provides reliability using error control. Error control
includes mechanisms for detecting corrupted segments, lost segments,
out-of-order segments, and duplicated segments. Error control also
includes a mechanism for correcting errors after they are detected.
Error detection and correction in TCP is achieved through the use of
three simple tools: checksum, acknowledgment, and time-out." The thing
is, the higher-order CAT-X cables are physically built from a shielding
and twisted-pair density factor to carry higher frequencies more
reliably. Meaning more bits/sec down the line. If you try to shove 10GHz
data down a CAT3 cable nothing will arrive reliably at the other end
because the cable is not built to carry those frequencies. In a normal
house, CAT5e or CAT6 is enough for Gigabit ethernet at the kind of cable
lengths one normally finds at home.

Error correction in TCP/IP s not guesswork. It's either retransmission
or mathematical reconstruction. If you know that 3 + 5 + X = 9 then you
don't guess the value of X, you calculate it to be 1. This is the
biggest mistake Audiophiles make - they assume corrupt data has to be
guessed when it is simply either re-sent down the line or else
calculated based on the checksums sent together with the real data. It
was the same crap when the CD came out and Audiophiles worried that CD
players had to guess values for the 1s and 0s lost to scratches - in
reality they were mathematically reconstructed with FULL accuracy.
Period.

That's why any claims about ethernet cables/switches/routers are total
b****x when it comes to audio data transcending them :cool: