At 06:19 PM 29/10/03 +1100, you wrote:
>>From: "ANDREW WRIGHT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>      In your opinion what is the best transponder option for gliders.
>>(i.e lowest power consumption and weight.)
>

>Andrew,
>
>I haven't done the figures but my gut feeling is that for operations out of
>Gawler (which is where I think you fly from), the cost effective option is a
>really good pair of sunglasses, a canopy polish and a good night's sleep.
>
>I don't believe the cost of a transponder and attendant power supply/antenna
>and fitting costs (I would estimate about $5-6000 total min) is justified
>unless you value your life at several billion dollars.   The collision
>probability with a TCAS equipped aircraft (and they're the only ones a
>transponder will help you with) is that low.

Unless of course he wants to go to other places and fly in E airspace
within 40nm of a Class D tower. If you should ever want a clearance through
C airspace the transponder will help also. Try getting a clearance through
a military Restricted area without one.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784