At 09:59 PM 30/10/03 +1100, you wrote:
>>From: Mike Borgelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>Unless of course he wants to go to other places and fly in E airspace
>>within 40nm of a Class D tower.
>
>40nm is a very big piece of airspace and this requirement is a bit of a
>puzzle.  Is it right to assume that the intention of ASA is, over time, to
>"man" these towers remotely?  That would explain a large transponder veil in
>an otherwise low traffic environment.  Or have they already said that's the
>plan?

No I think it is so the TCAS in regional airliners on climb/descent will
pick up traffic. Class D are non radar towers.
40nm is huge. Made enquiries on r.a.s. and the US has 10nm in selected
cases sometimes more but certainly not routinely.

>I think there's a good chance we can whittle that down to more realistic
>size after some experience.  Besides, if they're not manned remotely, their
>costs, compared to traffic levels, make them just about the lowest
>cost-benefit section of the NAS.  Those airports are always liable to being
>downgraded to MBZs when the next budget crisis hits and the Nationals no
>longer provide the Transport Minister.

There will be no MBZ's anyway after June next year. All CTAFs.  Was meant
to be after November 27th but the backsliders won on that.

>>If you should ever want a clearance through
>>C airspace the transponder will help also. Try getting a clearance through
>>a military Restricted area without one.
>
>CCSC holds a ridge camp each year - and has done for a number of years -
>inside a military restricted area flying gliders that have no transponders
>and whose radios only have 122.7.

I bet you get a block clearance for that. Try a popup while soaring cross
country.

>You just have to pick your restricted area!!  Move further from Amberley,
>Mike.  Those F111 drivers take themselves much too seriously.

Amberley isn't the problem it's the goddammed helicopters at Oakey combined
with the spinelessness of the local glider pilots. They negotiate directly
with the Air traffic controllers at Oakey and then claim they don't have an
airspace problem. Of course vast parts of the huge Oakey restricted areas
remain unavailable to them during the week severely limiting task options.
There really isn't a reason that helo training needs a restricted area.
I'm working on finding out what the US Army does in its similar training
ops. Allegedly we are going to MOAs.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784