At 18:19 29-10-03 +1100,"ANDREW WRIGHT" wrote:
        In your opinion what is the best transponder option for gliders.
(i.e lowest power consumption and weight.)

Graeme Cant replied:
I haven't done the figures but my gut feeling is that for operations out of Gawler (which is where I think you fly from), the cost effective option is a really good pair of sunglasses, a canopy polish and a good night's sleep.

I don't believe the cost of a transponder and attendant power supply/antenna and fitting costs (I would estimate about $5-6000 total min) is justified unless you value your life at several billion dollars. The collision probability with a TCAS equipped aircraft (and they're the only ones a transponder will help you with) is that low.

The real worry is and always has been (in order):
1.   OTHER GLIDERS
2.   THE TUG
3.   Other VFR aeroplanes
And the only answer to all of those is... KEEP LOOKING!!!!

I have to disagree on details here. Halve Graeme's estimate of the cost for a low-power lightweight Australian-made transponder that is available and will soon have a Mode C encoder option (possibly another $500-800) and you have a cost estimate.

Whilst the things Graeme lists are the main collision concerns, in your area there are also military aircraft operating out of Edinburgh who have TCAS, and while you are in range of Adelaide radar - out to 150 NM from AD airport - with a transponder you will show on their screen and be given as traffic to IFR aircraft and VFRs that request a RIS (radar information service).

Admittedly these won't help against other gliders or aeroplanes not getting the RIS - so don't stop looking REAL hard - but if you feel a transponder will help you, this is the kind of equipment you will find most useful. And get a separate battery to drive the transponder so you don't run your vario, logger and radio flat. A solar panel in-flight charger might also help if you want to go hi-tec!

However, I have yet to work out how a TCAS unit will interpret a dozen gliders in a thermal with their transponders on, as the alerts will be turning on and off and moving a little as the relative speeds change - possibly more significant to slower aircraft than to jets.

Wombat