At 06:36 AM 16/09/04 +1000, you wrote:
>(Hallo Daryl from 1973-4!!)
>My impression from RAPAC(?) meetings from 7 years ago was steps would get
>steeper in time as we got better climb performance Aircraft and the Navahos
>became parachute drop planes or were put out to pasture.  Why should our
>steps still be based on one 40 year old junk aircraft take off a week!!.
>Remember then that Norm Bloch told me a max weight B767 would be climbing
>thru 10000ft at just less than 20 nm.  OK you might say its is the decent
>profile that need the flatter steps which is true but approaches are usually
>separated from arrivals.

Or you can do what the Americans do and fly in Class E where you are
seperated from other IFR traffic by ATC and need to look out the window in
VMC for the VFR's.

It isn't like that of course as in most of the E you have radar coverage
and the power VFR's have transponders so the controller will tell the
airline pilot about the VFR traffic and he can see it on his TCAS anyway.
Note that in the US transponders are only required in Class E within 30nm
of busy airports.

>Personally I strongly believe we should all highlight on our maps the main
>IFR tracks (from ERC low) on our flying charts ESPECIALLY as they come near
>a moderately active airports and at 15nm to 20nm from such airports we all
>keep good separation from cloud base.  From a fair bit of experience that is
>where close calls occur.

That is good advice.

Now consider this - a glider fuselage is about 2 feet by 3 feet cross section.

A Boeing 737 is about 13 feet wide and about the same high.

Gliders can close head on at in excess of 200KTAS

Boeings at 900KTAS at cruising altitudes. Lower down no more than about
600KTAS.

A glider confronting a Boeing might close at 400KTAS. It is LOTS easier for
you to see the Boeing than another glider.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784