Hi Tom,

I don't think the image of gliding in Australia is by any means perfect,
but I just wanted to emphasise that the problem is not that there are
too many 'youth-challenged' pilots --- indeed I think it is a positive
thing that they are able to dominate the sport here if there isn't
enough of a talent or representation in the other ranks. <duck!>

To me, it means that the sport has a very strong basis if healthy adults
of all ages can credibly participate in competitions.  Other sports like
tennis and swimming are so much more about being at one's physical peak
or even just being born with the right genetics, so the window of
competitiveness is comparatively narrow, and most people are excluded
from competing credibly just because they have the wrong physical
characteristics.

If the youngsters wanted a handicap in their favour then the rules could
perhaps be changed to make pilots run the length of the field prior to
launch!  Or hike back from outlandings? :-)

The public probably don't think that gliding is an old-person's sport in
the way that they think lawn bowls is --- they just don't know much
about what gliding has to offer as you point out.  Most often the
perception I hear from the public prior to taking TIFs is that it is a
serene, relaxing and slow-paced activity akin to ballooning; of course
gliding can be those things but the sporting side is far from that.

Johnny