  From: Stuart & Kerri FERGUSON
  To: 'Dave Shorter' ; 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
  Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:48 PM
  Subject: [Aus-soaring] Promoting Gliding

  The following extract from Dave's post sounds very encouraging, and I do not
doubt a word of it.

  Entries will be limited to 60 gliders. As Lake Keepit is a very popular site,
with great variety, (and friendly people) we expect a full field. We were
oversubscribed last time and unfortunately had to turn away some late entries.
I suggest you enter early to avoid disappointment.

  What it does say to me is, those of us involved with the sport are very
enthusiastic about it and the popularity of events like this, the Narromine Cup
etc reinforce this view. On the other side of the coin we have the discussions
about the demise of gliding due to the age profile of the majority of those
taking part and the lack of new members.

  I know the GFA are spending money talking about the problem, gathering
statistics and holding meetings, but we are not seeing the required outcome
which is increased membership numbers, this should be the number one KPI for
this project.

  Gliding is a challenge, it is exciting, and it is Hi-tech, but is that how
the public perceive it?  Most of the public and a majority of GA pilots think
that gliding is going round in circles within gliding distance of the local
airfield on a Sunday afternoon, why?  Because that is all they see us doing.
What I believe needs to be done is make the sport more visible and the way to
do this is via the electronic media. The GFA (because this what they need to
do) need to have produced short video documentaries that would be suitable for
TV and other visual electronic media 5 minute filers, 30 and 60 minute sport
documentaries similar to those seen on Fox Sport etc based round some of our
big events, JoeyGlide is a prime target for such an activity. If they can make
some of the boring activities I have seem made look interesting in these
productions just imagine what could be done with gliding.

  Are we up to the challenge?

  SDF