???
Of course old gliders are fun, including Blaniks.
Of course there are "better things" (now) than Blaniks, but they are still
lovely to fly and a good trainer after more than 50 years!
Remember they were a mid 1950s design (contemporary with Kookaburras, Phillip
Will's Dart* and similar) which first flew in _1956_ and there really wasn't
any better common two seater available for 20+ years.

SWK

*PS I just had a quick look in Martin Simon's Slingsby book. The Dart first
flew in Nov 1963. The Blanik is actually 3/4 of a decade _older_ than the Dart.
I think people overlook what an outstanding thing the Blanik really was _in
context_.

PPS I have flown _some_ old gliders (about 50 types in my logbook) and own a
H17 (I don't think you'll find a slower, quieter and more open VH-glider in
Australia) they aren't better (or worse) than "modern" gliders, just different.