At 06:01 29/11/2007, you wrote:

>Yes. I have thermalled with eagles and I have ridged soared with all
>sorts of birds including magpies (the worst) and pelicans. And I
>have done this in the open, au naturel so to speak, and in a
>tupperware glider.
>
>You accuse me of being sour. Not at all!
>
>"I turned south and whispered for home at 40 knots. For 20 miles I
>flew, gaining height at half a knot, everything so quiet that it was
>not the Dart which was moving, it was the dreamy earth below which
>was being drawn silently backwards."
>
>When I read this from Phillip Wills, I think something has been lost
>in modern gliders. If you have experienced flying in the open,
>really slow and quiet, or whispered along in an old, slow glider,
>than I doubt you would attempt to challenge the idea that while
>soaring with eagles in a modern sailplane is OK, naked is better.
>
>DMcD

That article was in the very first issue of "Sailplane & Gliding"
that I received when I joined a civilian gliding club after learning
with the Air Cadet movement: October 1966! The Dart in question was
about the prototype or first production Open Class version, the Dart
17R. It was very high performance - about the best they ever achieved
with wooden gliders - 36:1 best glide and a low min sink rate around
140 - 150 ft/min. The Standard Class Dart 15 won the OSTIV prize at
the 1965 World Championships but only about 2 had been produced at
the time, and the later 17R was far more popular. I never flew one,
but was told they were not particularly easy to fly and had a few
sharp corners to the envelope with a high aspect ratio tapered-chord
wing and quite a high wing-loading for the day.

Certainly not an open-cockpit slow-flying 1930's vintage aircraft -
it would out-perform many Standard class gliders still in common use
today that we would not call vintage at all! (at least at speeds
below about 75 kt).

Wombat