Hi

Yes it was easy, a little more complicated then Mike reports from back in
1983/1996 but still simple, I did it in 2006, download the form off the FAA
website, send it in 2-6 months before you are going there, nominate the FAA
office you want to pick it up from. The FAA contact CASA and confirm licence
details and then send you a letter confirming it all and the licence awaits
you when you arrive. No need for flight reviews, security checks, fees or
any theory or practical tests. No need for a medical either. The licence is
valid for as long as you continue to hold your Aussie licence and medical. I
went back again in 2008 for another tour using the licence issued in 2006.
If CASA issued a PPL Glider Rating similar to the other ratings you get on
your PPL then it would be a snap to get the FAA to recognize it. I can't see
how the GFA will ever be able to get the FAA and their equivalents around
the world to recognize any document they produce because it will not be ICAO
compliant.

On the other side eg OS pilots wanting to visit Australia, CASA have a way
to go to make it simpler. The CASA process means it seems to me that every
time an OS pilot visits Australia they have to go through their processes,
security check, flight review etc. In the interests of promoting aviation
related tourism it would be good to have CASA adopt the easier and cheaper
USA system. I also see CASA won't let you fly at night on a CV or fly IFR
and each time you come to Australia you have to apply again. Still they are
at least better then the Kiwis, last time I looked they wanted you jump
through more hoops to get approval to fly a NZ registered aircraft on a PPL.
It actually seems easier to get a NZ CPL based on your Aussie CPL because of
the Trans Tasman Mutual Professional Recognition Act, I got it done recently
without any hassle other then having to do another medical. I'm also looking
to fly in South Africa next year but their approval process puts me off,
theory test including use of radio to be passed, 3 hour cross country flight
test and wait for 2-3 days to get the paperwork issued, kind of cuts into
the trip time. As for gliding there, don't know what you need?

Oh for a time when every country recognizes ICAO licenses and lets you fly
their aircraft on a PPL without having to get a country specific licence
like happens in most countries with car licences.

Mark