From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Thursday, 26 November 2009 10:42 PM
To: p...@kurstjens.com; Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in
Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Altitude badge claims

At 07:32 PM 26/11/2009, you wrote:
>A tight turn after release from tow is also a good way for the data analyst
>to determine when the glider released and therefore the release altitude.
>Pam

Not if you want *me * to certify a height gain it doesn't.

The gain is the gain to the maximum altitude from the previous lowest
point after release.

A circle proves nothing about eactly where the release was and what
altitude it was at. Note the first EW barograph had provision for a
release detector.

In the absence of that, notch the trace.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since
1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784