For reference, it isn't just GFA / CASA.
Even though EXP registration is much more common in the USA, FAA is not interested in moving an aircraft to EXP for life extension purposes. It has of course been tried with the Centrair Pegase.* Under FAA regulations, an EXP aircraft can be flown by rated pilots only. EXP two-seaters cannot be used for instruction or rides. Single-seat EXP can be rented just like STD aircraft, or used for towing. In my experience, registering and insuring FAA EXP is no different to STD. Just different paperwork.
Jim

*The Pegase now has a life extension program thanks to the work primarily of Bob Carlton. /...a Global Alternate Method Of Compliance (AMOC) that will raise the current 3,000 hour life limit on Centrair Pegase 101, 101P, 101A and 101AP gliders to 4,500 hours/...