From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
m_kent
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 11:10 AM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Rio de Janeiro on São Miguel?

There was a family story that my g-grandfather was from a Rio de Janeiro,
and it was written on my g-grandmother's prayer book, along with her
birthplace (Ponta Garça - spelled Punta Gassa). It isn't recorded in any
articles or official documents. We never knew whether it referred to a birth
place or somewhere he had lived, but the Rio de Janeiro notation appeared to
refer to him, not her.

According to my research so far, both g-grandparents were born and baptized
in Ponta Garça about 1855. They were married there in 1876 and had 4
children within the next 5 years. The couple's names are José de Medeiros
Pingão and Maria Amelia da Conceição da Costa. They later dropped Pingão.

I don't have a specific reference from Ancestry for the Boston
arrival--sorry.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with a Rio de Janeiro on São Miguel,
because it would solve part of the puzzle.  Both g- grandparents immigrated
to Hawaii in 1882 (then on to California about 1885). We have no evidence he
or they ever went to Brazil, but are not sure where to look for it, except
in passport records. I've found passport records and ship passenger lists
showing their Hawaii journey, but nothing for Brazil.

If there is no evidence there is or was a Rio de Janeiro on São Miguel
island, this family story remains a mystery.

Mary K

On Feb 19, 7:57 pm, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mary K,
>
> When you say that Rio de Janeiro was listed as the birth place...where
> did you see this listed?  In his obituary? On something else?  Also
> when you said you saw it arriving in Boston, you saw that on
> Ancestry.com?  Can you list the specific date on that so those with
Ancestry can take a look?