Mary K,

My guess is that the male ancestor did not come from Rio de Janeiro.  There
isn't one on Sao Miguel island.  Since Ponta Garca has a phoentic spelling
to it on your source, someone took a guess at Rio de Janeiro and since that
is a famous city, that is what they thought they heard.

I can't remember how many Ribeirnhas there are in the all the Azores.  4 or
5.  If I had to take a real wild guess, I would think that Rio de Janeiro
might be Ribeira das Tainhas, next door.  Not that the words sound alike.
It's just that Ribeira das Tainhas is a long name.  And it sort makes sense
with what Shirley Allegre found.  One migration states him from Ponta Garca
(east of Ribeira das Tainhas) and the other states Sao Miguel, Vila Franca
meaning the Sao Miguel Arcanjo church in Vila Franca (west of Ponta
Garca).  Ribeira das Tainhas wasn't an official freguesia until something
like 1980.  Although some people migrating from Tainhas did state Tainhas,
some stated Sao Miguel (Arcanjo) in Vila Franca.  I've seen it both ways.
The reason I know this is because those are my villages too.

Get your ancestors' marriage from Ponta Garca in 1855 from the film.  See
what they say about where they lived and where they were baptized.  That
will help clear up your mystery.

Achada