This is slightly off the subject, but all these Pingao ancestors are
ringing a bell with me.  Does anyone know whether the name Pingao is an
actual surname or an alcunha?

I remember long ago my mother telling me about our family's alcunha.  My
maternal grandmother's family, the Frias family, had the nickname
"Malassada."  According to my mother, the other side of the family, by
which I think she meant my maternal grandfather's family, the Vieira
family, had a nickname that sounded exactly like Pingao, but which my
mother said meant "squash."  Years later, after I acquired a very
elementary reading knowledge of Portuguese, I tried to find this name that
supposedly meant "squash," but all I could find was "abobrinha" as the
Portuguese equivalent.  To me, "pingao" sounds as if it means a very large
drop of something, the opposite of "pinginho."

I suppose some squashes do resemble very large drops of water.  Does anyone
know the origin off this name?

Thanks,
Nancy