Mike B,

Women are more likely than men to change their religious middle name. They
marry under one (that perhaps they have had since confirmation) and after
going through their first pregnancy, they become devoted the Virgin Mary of
the Conception (Conceição) and begin using that. Also, the women were not
present at the baptism. They were typically home on bed rest, as was
customary for the day. The father and the godparents went to baptize the
baby. So when they ask for the mother's name, they know her as Delphina,
but take a guess as to the religious component. As you collect all the kids
of the couple, you'll start to realize that they are guessing at mom's
middle name. I poke fun at it saying "Too much vinho."

The marriage you attached is in the 2nd time period. These records don't
include the detailed information of the 3rd time period (once in a while,
you will find the detailed one, but that is not the norm. And this marriage
is normal for the time period). So no ages for the bride and groom.

If you have collected all the kids for this couple and you know where your
ancestor fits in the family, then you can take the birth of kid 1 (pretend
it was Jan. 1, 1818) and subtract 18 years and start looking for their
births in 1800 on back. The bride could have been 25 and the groom could
have been 30. You just don't know. You just go back in time. It's how we
all did it. I don't know if that freguesia has any indices. I believe I
posted the link to Tombo.pt for you to check in another email.

Here's what to expect for the 3 time periods. I arranged it by event
(baptism, marriage, death). You can copy and paste it into a Word type
editor and arrange it by time period if you prefer. Then you can print it
out and have it handy until you get used to them: https://goo.gl/ie5McX
Happy Hunting, Cheri Mello
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada