The further you go back in time, the more abbrevations you see. They are
not supposed to abbreviate in the 2nd time period, but you may see some
abbreviations here or there. The first line names her as Claudina do Esp^o
(or may be Es^o) S^to (the ^ means the next letters are raised).

Yes, Claudina do Espirito Santo filha (daughter) de Jose da Costa Cyprianno
(today Ciprano) ede (should be "e de" for "and of") Tereza deJesus (he ran
de Jesus together). OK, I thought it was weird in the first document that
your guy was Jose Cipriano. Cipriano is a first name and I figured there
was a missing name that the priest dropped off. And now it appears. My best
guess (and you'll figure this out as you collect more relatives) - Your
Jose da Costa was tired of being confused with his uncle, Jose da Costa,
his cousin, Jose da Costa, his other cousin, Jose da Costa, and his nephew,
Jose da Costa. Not to mention the 3 other Costa families in that church,
all of whom have someone name Jose da Costa. So he tacked on Ciprano from
his relative. You'll figure it out as you go back it time if it was his
dad, his grandfather or some other relative. Cipriano is less common, so it
would be a good identifier. Better than being called Grasshopper, Shorty,
Lefty, or For Example (yes, those are all literal translations of names
people have tacked on).

Delfina is Delfina da Conceição now. (Wasn't she Delfina do Espirito Santo
before?) They wrote it with the old spelling of Conceicam instead. This is
where you'll have to see how Delfina married, and how she appears on each
of her kids' baptism (she wasn't present) and go with the "majority rules"
rule.

You should find about 6-8 kids before your Manuel's birth. He seems like he
may be a kid born towards the end. He was either the first Manuel or the
first one that lived to adulthood. Or maybe they had a lot of girls.

The date is 19 Mar 1832. The bride and groom were baptized in that church
and spent the last 3 Lents there. Or fulfilled their Lenten duties there, I
should say.

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada