________________________________

        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Butterworth

________________________________

                        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Butterworth

                        On 26/06/07, Andrew Bowden
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

                                You're kidding, right?

                                The service on Virgin isn't the iplayer,
it's implemented via Virgin's existing service that already provides BBC
repeats that's been running for a couple of years now.  The same
document approved the service but it is NOT the iPlayer.

                                The PC TV download version part of it,
is just one aspect of iPlayer - it is not the entirity of it by any
means.  The intentions of iPlayer being a cross-platform product have
been there for a long time - even looking at how a service could be made
available on Freeview.

                        Not on the product I betatested...  You have
conflated other products into the iPlayer.

                I haven't done anything of the sort.  The BBC has a plan
for a range of products which are the iPlayer.  The iPlayer you are
thinking of is just one part of that plan.

                It is true that the PC download aspect is the one that
has caught the headlines.  However even the PC version of iPlayer is
more than just downloads - it involves streaming and podcasts too.

        Tell you what, you go and actually read the BBC and Ofcom
documents about the service so you know what you are talking about and
then repost, eh?

Sorry Brian but I don't think I'll bother.  I won't bother because I've
read many of those documents because I've been watching iplayer as an
outsider with great interest - partly because iPlayer on Cable is being
built in the very team I work in!  It's one of many reasons why I've
taken an interest in iPlayer (another is that I'm a Linux user at home
and have been keeping my eye very closely on that ball)

iPlayer is exactly what I said is it.  It's a range of products which
covers what is mentioned in this document, and its associated documents.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/press_releases/30_04_2007.html

You will notice that this covers:

*       Seven day catch-up television over the internet
*       Seven-day catch-up television over cable
*       Simulcast television over the internet
*       Non-digital rights management audio downloads over the internet
(aka podcasting)

Its true that the iPlayer term is not hugely used in there - it is
referred to as the BBC's on demand proposals.  It's also true that one
of the consultation documents refers to the fact that the BBC could
launch a version of the iPlayer using existing services (e.g. the AV
console on BBC News, the Radio Player etc) without requiring a Public
Value Test.

But hey, tell you what... If you still don't believe me, I suggest you
wait until launch and see who turns out to be right! ;)