Like I said its a rant. Probably a poor choice to post, but I've
really been having some inexplicable problems lately and kirk'd out
something bad this morning. Setting up Bacula to test certain things
went relatively smoothly. Its been setting it up for production that
has presented its biggest challenges. The documentation is immense and
the learning curve is certainly challenging. If it weren't for the
support of all the kind folks here, I wouldn't have come as far as I
have. For instance, the full abilities of the commands aren't well
documented. It required searching the bacula-users posts to discover
that I could do "label slots=1-12 pool=scratch barcodes".

I did do something foolish the other day when I edited the jobs and
ran reload in the console while a job was despooling. The conf wasn't
correct (still trying to get the Windows Fileset syntax correct). Well
of course the director puked and this is I suppose expected. What I
didn't expect is that Bacula wouldn't be able to tell me what happened
to the job, or that the data that had been spooled to disk would all
be gone. This is when I started running into difficulty attempting to
purge the tape and add it back to the scratch pool. In addition, I had
a Full backup run on Sunday. I received email that the job was
complete and was successful. Querying Bacula for any information
regarding the job returned "no reuslts". Looking directly at the
tables showed the Filename table did contain the filenames but the Job
and File tables were empty. I don't believe this should have been the
case, and there was nothing in mysql logs to indicate an error and
none in Bacula logs. I am not unwilling to believe that there still
could have been an issue with mysql.  These are real concerns for me
and trying to implement reliable backups.

I do apologize to anyone I might have insulted, particularly the hard
working Bacula developers. Poor choice of mine to post comments like
that.