On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:19:16 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In a message dated 12/11/2004 10:45:16 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Where are you getting that from?

Susan:
> For gosh sakes, Gilberto. Have you never seen the fatwas to the effect that
> women should not be in positions of political authority because political
> leaders engage in war, and women aren't supposed to do this?

Gilberto:
No, I actually haven't. I honestly have never heard that argument made
in any Islamic contexts. But in our discussions a few months or so
ago, I had speculated that this was perhaps one conceivable
"justification" for excluding women from the UHJ, namely that in the
future when Bahais have taken over (?) the UHJ would conceivably use
military force to enforce its rulings and since women, the givers of
life, shouldn't also be givers of death, they shouldn't participate.

Gilberto:
I've never heard of nor seen any ayat of Quran or hadith which even
suggests that women shouldn't be soldiers.

Susan:
> There was a female Ayatullah at the time of the Iranian revolution. But she >
> could do ijtihad only on her own behalf, no own could follow her.

Gilberto:
I'm not particularly interested in defending Shiism.

> "Women can certainly be judges in the Hanafi madhab which is the
> largest and the oldest of the four traditional sunni schools."

Susan:
> Qazis and muftis are different things.

I know that. And women can do both.

>  Name some female muftis for me and
> cite the fetwas they issued which others followed.

Aisha (ra) is obviously one big early one

Here is a discussion of some past female scholars through the
centuries. They didn't just give rulings on women's issues either, but
on business matters, acts of worship, and other issues. And they
overrode the rulings of men:

http://www.livingislam.org/fiqhi/fiqha_e77.html

The site below discusses female hadith scholars, which is less
relevant to what we are talking about but I include it for
thoroughness.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/womenscholars.htm

Here are some interesting stories in the recent news

http://www.onlinewomeninpolitics.org/archives/03_1005_in_wid.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3067758/site/newsweek/

If there are more prominent  male scholars   than female scholars in
Islam it is overwhelmingly because of sociological reasons, not
theological ones.

> "And historically Aishah led troops"

> Yes, against the Iman and Caliph Ali! Not the most Islamic act she ever did.

Granted, that's not the best example in history, but the important
thing to realize is that the soldiers didn't go "Hey wait a minue, the
prophet told us that women shouldn't be doing that!"

A different example would be Khaula, the sister of Dhirar Bin
Al-Azwan, who fought under Khalid Bin Walid  in the time of Abu Bakr
(so just a few years after the prophet passed). And I'm fairly certain
I'd read about a female sahaba fighting on the battlefield in the time
of the prophet.

> Yes, I believe the Qur'an is the Word of God and yes I believe God is
> merciful and just. But no, it does not follow that one can apply everything
> the Qur'an says about women in this day and be treating them either justly
> or mercifully.

We've had this same discussion before. If Bahais are willing to be
flexible and bend issues which Muslims tend to be more rigid on (e.g.
"seal of the prophets means last prophet", the non-crucifixion, Jesus
isn't the son of God, Jesus isn't divine, etc.) then Muslims can be
flexible in finding ways to make sense of the text which are
compassionate and just to women. Personally, I tend not to find the
former kinds of arguments very convincing, but the latter kind of
"flexibility" seems natural and even necessary.

> A doctor may well prescribe a medicine for one patient at one
> time which will be poison to him at another.

017.082
We send down (stage by stage) in the Qur'an that which is a healing
and a mercy to those who believe: to the unjust it causes nothing but
loss after loss.