The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Dear Shahram,

No one is preventing any of your posts from appearing here. What is
happening is that some of your posts have been sent to me privately
rather than to the list. You might want to double check who you are
replying to more carefully next time.

Aside from that, this is not an academic list. This lists exists to
allow Baha'i academics to discuss matters of Baha'i scholarship with
Baha'is who are not academics. It is a private list and we do have
every right to decide who can or cannot post here. But I am not the
list owner, Mark Foster is, and he will be the one to decide how long
to let this discussion continue. We have, from time to time, allowed
non-Baha'is to participate here, but I do not much appreciate your
presenting yourself as a Baha'i here when it is clear that you are
not. Also, using caps in cyberspace is shouting and is therefore
considered rude, so if you want to continue this discussion I ask that
you turn your caps off.

The reason I know you are not a Baha'i is because any Iranian Baha'i
would know the slander being spread about us is false.  Having been
denied access to higher education for the last thirty years they would
not be suggesting that we are breaking the law by teaching the Faith
in universities. How can we teach the Faith there if we cannot even
attend them?   For a Baha'i to attend a university they would have to
identify themselves as a Muslim and no Baha'i would lie about their
religion as you have apparently done. This is not a matter of
accepting criticism it is a matter of knowing the most basic facts
about the condition of the Baha'is in Iran which you appear to be
totally ignorant of. Did you even know that Baha'is cannot attend
universities? Why are our graveyards being demolished in Iran? We're
the Baha'is buried there rising out of their tombs and teaching the
Faith as well? Why does the government not stop those acts of
vandalism instead of arresting those Baha'is who report them?

If indeed you are a lawyer then why is it you cannot produce the texts
of the laws in question which Baha'is have supposedly violated? Is it
just or legal for some government official to declare an act illegal
after the fact and then arrest a Baha'i for it? Is it just or legal
for Baha'is to be denied legal counsel even when it is offered to them
as was the case with the seven Baha'is who were supposed to go on
trial last week? Will they be allowed to consult with their attorney
Shirin Ebadi who so far they have not even been allowed to meet?

As for the Baha'i stand against genocide, Baha'is all over the world
have urged their governments to sign international agreements against
genocide. If you want my personal opinion about Gaza I suggest you go
to Theology Web and take a look at what I wrote there. But I don't
discuss those kinds of things on a Baha'i forum.

Granted that the number of Baha'is who have so far been executed is
not very large, but when you deny a community all access to higher
education, when you fire them from their jobs and take away their
pensions, there is clearly a cultural genocide going on. But to say
that Baha'is were given a fair trial and allowed to defend themselves
is simply not true. In most cases there were no public trials and no
one new about their execution until the remains of these Baha'is were
discovered, many of which showed signs of extreme torture.

Let me ask you this, sixteen year old Mona Mahmudnizhad was indeed
given a fair trial before she was hung, who served as her defense
attorney? About the other eight Baha'i women who were hung with her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Mahmudnizhad.

As for there not being a State of Israel during the time of
Baha'u'llah, that is precisely my point. Baha'is not teaching the
Faith in Palestine has nothing whatsoever to do with the State of
Israel. Baha'is have not taught the Faith in Palestine since the time
of Baha'u'llah, and it has not mattered who was ruling the country, be
it the Ottomans, the British or the Israelis. As for the letter from
the Universal House of Justice, I have no idea what letter you are
referring to. Feel free to post it here along with the exact text of
an Iranian law which Baha'is have supposedly broken.

warmest, Susan