On 30 November 2011 14:46, Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I think the same general query applies to modern players too - what evidence
> have you for your assertion that all experienced players can transpose
> tablature on sight?

Gosh, there goes my English again! Did I really write 'all experienced
players'? Shouldn't think so. Make that 'experienced players', or read
my mail again and see that's what I did write. The question should be,
of course, what makes a player experienced (or good, or a pro, or a
survivor in the rough world of lute song accompaniment)? Many lute
song accompanists, dare I say experienced  lute song accompanists,
will agree transposing songs is a useful skill. Or carrying around a
bag of transpositions, like Bob Spencer did. Perhaps that's what marks
the experienced player: to be prepared for possible transpositions.

Anyway, you mean you want to have a list of all the times I had to
transpose on sight over the last 20- dd years? Or a list of the songs,
or a list of the most common transpositions, most common reasons, or a
rating of the relative success of my transpositions (could be
embarrassing, let's leave that out).

David - had a spontaneous transposition within a recit of Messiah last
weekend, but the cello player and alto didn't transpose along. How
petty of them, not going along with my half tone lower ...