On 30 November 2011 09:54, Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>   lute required for a  particular pitch and tuning.  If singers couldn't
>   transpose sufficiently (because of their particular vocal range) then
>   the lute part would have to be re-intabulated or a different sized
>   instrument employed;   tho' this seems an extreme remedy

Transposing lute song (intabulated parts) isn't that hard for an
experienced player. No need to write it out, no need to write about
it. I think we (I at least) do it all the time. I'll notate a bass
line if it's complicated. On the other hand, like Bob Spencer, I do
carry around a set of transposed Dowland songs. :-)

The discussion started on baroque lutes. Not many lute songs with
intabulated parts for those. If anything, there will be a continuo
part. No need to even discuss transposing: just do it.

David