On April 18, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>  Completion on existing ones would be a big help here. I use BBDB

Point taken. I'll have a look at this.

>  because my memory is shot :-) But it would be good if bbdb-finger,
>  bbdb-snarf, bbdb-whois etc all agreed (or maybe they do ?).

bbdb-whois is actually utterly broken at the moment. There's a Perl
Whois module that does a nice job of handling the multitude of
regular expressions. And the nice people at geektools.com run a
'smart' whois system that automatically reroutes your query to the
correct whois database, so I'll throw that in too.

>  Encryption ? It's very difficult to do that `right' as there's always
>  some chance on a multi user machine that unencrypted data will turn
>  up in a core dump or `ps' output. Good enough is probably good
>  enough. Uhum.

Actually, since the databases get zero protection in the palmpilot
(you can happily snarf a database "raw" and browse through it without
 the password), I was thinking of maybe just duplicating this in bbdb
- if you set the "secret" flag, the record's display is controlled by
entering a password, exactly as on the pilot. Make .bbdb
non-user-unreadable, and you've got roughly the same protection as the
palm has. That or just add a flag that says "don't ever snarf private
records" on your sync tools.

>  That author would be me. Latest version I have is 1.4. I can mail you
>  a copy if you don't have it. You need a recent version of
>  mailcrypt.el as well.

I think I've a recent (pgp5) mailcrypt knocking around. I'd appreciate
a copy of bbdb-pgp, yes, if you're happy with it being melded with the
rest of the code.

>  I also have a hack called mail-signature.el that finds appropriate
>  .sig files based on patterns in the header or a `signature' entry in
>  the recipient's BBDB entry. (There's an older version
>  bbdb-signature.el that only supports the BBDB part so doesn't work so
>  well with newsgroups :-)

Ditto for this.

I'd a bbdb-merge.el to post last night, but I only added it to CVS
instead of also committing it. Doh. Should be up this evening. It's a
first cut, but should help if anyone else is working on the sync idea,
since it allows datestamp comparison and "new overrides old"
behaviour.

Waider.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / yadda yadda yadda personal blah

Derrick says, "So what do you do with a variable clevis and a 40,000
    pound chicken?"