On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Ronan Waide wrote:
> Okay, this is officially irritating me.
>
> 1. Why is xemacs telling me that bbdb-autoloads is already loaded,
>    when I have nothing to load it in my .emacs?

If you have the package installed, it's probably done by the packaging
system to ensure that the autoload functions are available.

Packages are designed to be available (autoloads only) when they are
installed, IIRC.

> 2. Why is it a fatal error to load bbdb-autoloads twice? If this is a
>    "my version vs. your version issue, wouldn't it be more sensible
>    for the autoloads file to check the bbdb-version variable?

Personally, I don't think that having a BBDB-specific autoloads file is
worth the effort, at least on XEmacs.

By default, XEmacs generated auto-autoloads.el files *don't* have this
`already loaded' lossage. I don't know if GNU Emacs supports them,
but if it did...

> 3. What's the normal procedure for telling Xemacs to screw the
>    installed package, use this one here in my .xemacs dir? (I'm
>    guessing it's doing this already, but...)

IIRC, remove the package. I never tried any other configuration, anyway.

> Yes, I realise as the maintainer I should already know the answers to
> these questions, but I'm a gnumacs hacker, dammit.

*grin*  Ain't nothing worse than needing to understand the other
religion as well.

        Daniel[1]

Footnotes:
[1]  Who has the reverse problem trying to make sure code he helps
     maintains works on GNU Emacs...

--
These are saddened times today / This sickened place we live
We walk right through / The wrecking yard / It's nothing that we give