On February 17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

> If you have the package installed, it's probably done by the packaging
> system to ensure that the autoload functions are available.
>
> Packages are designed to be available (autoloads only) when they are
> installed, IIRC.

Okay; that's not solving the problem, though. Here's my scenario:
1. Nuke any traces of bbdb on the system
2. Make a shiny new bbdb from CVS
3. make install-pkg to put it in .emacs.
4. Fire up xemacs.

Xemacs at this point barfs; if I do a -debug-init, the stack trace
reveals that it's barfing on the *first line* of my .bbdb, which is
calling bbdb-initialize. I don't have a require or anything else.

*pause*

Oh dear. I've just realised what the problem is. bbdb-initialize does
(load "bbdb-autoloads"), IIRC. D'oh. I'm leaving the above text to
show you that I am an idiot who misses the obvious from time to time...

> Personally, I don't think that having a BBDB-specific autoloads file is
> worth the effort, at least on XEmacs.

I inherited it without knowing what it was, to be honest.

> By default, XEmacs generated auto-autoloads.el files *don't* have this
> `already loaded' lossage. I don't know if GNU Emacs supports them,
> but if it did...

Um. It's inserted by batch-update-autoloads.

> IIRC, remove the package. I never tried any other configuration, anyway.

Ok; that's what I'd done (see above!)

> *grin*  Ain't nothing worse than needing to understand the other
> religion as well.

Yah; it's the gratuituous differences that annoy me. Like overlays
vs. extents, for example, and the completely incompatible menuing
systems.

Waider. Don't even get me started :)
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

I really need to reinstate the witty comments, dammit.