Ronan> Yah; it's the gratuituous differences that annoy me. Like
Ronan> overlays vs. extents, for example, and the completely
Ronan> incompatible menuing systems.

Alex> Yaaahrg!  I've written layers to handle both two or three times
Alex> and I'm getting soooo tired!

Then why doesn't someone write two really good layers -- one to
XEmacsify FSF code, and one to FSFify XEmacs code -- and save us all
the trouble?

I've been trying to port eicq from XEmacs to FSF Emacs, and I've been
lifting (and citing) liberally from BBDB and Gnus, but if I could add
something like:

(unless (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version) (require 'xemacs))

That would be nice.

Jack.
(just another dreamer.)
--