On February 20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> It's XEmacs's philosophy too, and the philosophy has a reason. If you
> have any `defcustom's in a given .el, then a menu option for that
> defcustom gets put (by the grace of `update-custom.sh' and
> `custom-load.el') into the (big) Options|Customize menu.
>
> Going into that menu now loads the .el file to run the `defcustom'.
> (Yes, this sucks; got a better method, that responds fast when the
> defcustom is changed?)
>
> Would you want the behaviour of your XEmacs to change just because you
> looked at a menu --- didn't do anything there, mind you, just looked at
> it?
>
> Hence the policy.

Right, and policies are fine when applied appropriately. The whole
point of loading bbdb-gui is to get faces and a menu in your BBDB
where it's supported. The `change in behaviour' that Sam is
complaining about as a violation of this policy is a hook added to
bbdb's display functionality to fontify the buffer and set up the
overlays for the menu action.

i.e. you are getting exactly what you asked for.

I'm not dumb. I do understand the merit of "no side effects,
please". I also understand the merit of "make things easy for the
user". For this latter reason, I think it is wrong to require the user
to load a file AND then manually add a hook to get the behaviour that
file is supposed to provide.

Waider.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

I really need to reinstate the witty comments, dammit.