Okay, I thought about the whole bbdb-electric thing some, and decided
that it probably is better if I leave it default to off, since it does
seem to cause so much grief and is one of the less obvious things to
cope with in BBDB.

YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE YOUR .emacs

... if you happen to like bbdb's high-voltage: (setq bbdb-electric-p t)

While I was breaking things by default, I changed bbdb-whois' binding
from M-w to W, because otherwise you get a whois lookup every time you
try to do a copy-region in the BBDB buffer. This is something that has
irritated me for quite some time, and was a pretty poor initial choice
of binding.

I've also, after a whole day of wrestling with Emacs' notion of popup
menus and overlays, managed to port most of the font and menu stuff
over to GNU Emacs. For the record, GNU Emacs' menu-handling blows
goats, and is yet another example of GNU Emacs simply not getting
X. I am tempted to elaborate, but I'll probably channel it into a web
page...

You'll need to load bbdb-gui to see this in action. Things you need to
know:

* I've not yet tested it on emacs 19, and I'm still refusing
  point-blank to have anything to do with emacs 21.

* Emacs' overlay code is broken. If you stack overlays that have a
  mouse-face, the one with the /lower/ priority is the one that
  governs the highlightable region. You'll need to delve in the code
  to see what I mean by this; suffice to say it's certainly contrary
  to what the documentation appears to say. Also, if you drift from a
  specific mouse-face overlay (e.g. the Name field) into the generic
  overlay (i.e. the one for the whole record, which encloses the Name
  field), you can't get back to the specific overlay without first
  leaving the generic one completely. This works just fine on XEmacs,
  funnily enough. There's also some oddball behaviour with partial
  repainting that I'm not even going to TRY and get into.

* Someone asked about xface handling. Lo and behold, there is xface
  code in here. It stopped working back around Lucid Emacs 19.13, as
  best I can tell from the comments; I've tried patching current
  XEmacs support in by cribbing from VM, but since I don't have an
  xface-capable XEmacs handy I've not been able to test this. If
  someone else would care to verify that it works, I'd appreciate it,
  as it saves me a Linux Kernel-sized download just to test a feature
  I'm never going to use myself. I'd also appreciate if someone could
  clue me into how far back the code will work.

So. I'm going to ponder more code hacks vs. sleep now.

Cheers,
Waider.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

I really need to reinstate the witty comments, dammit.