On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Ronan Waide stated:
> On February 20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> Would you want the behaviour of your XEmacs to change just because you
>> looked at a menu --- didn't do anything there, mind you, just looked at
>> it?
>>
>> Hence the policy.
>
> Right, and policies are fine when applied appropriately. The whole
> point of loading bbdb-gui is to get faces and a menu in your BBDB
> where it's supported. The `change in behaviour' that Sam is

As long as there are no defcustoms in bbdb-gui, that's fine. But if it
ever becomes more than a `load-to-activate' hook, it'll probably acquire
configurability, and that means defcustoms...

> i.e. you are getting exactly what you asked for.

As long as you asked for it, that's fine. But if it gets a defcustom,
all of a sudden the user could ask for it without knowing :(

> I'm not dumb.

I never implied you were :) (except maybe for taking on a project of the
size and internal messiness of the BBDB without a huge bribe first ;} )

>        For this latter reason, I think it is wrong to require the user
> to load a file AND then manually add a hook to get the behaviour that
> file is supposed to provide.

I agree; I don't think this policy should be applied dogmatically
either. (It's just that if it isn't applied to a given file, one has to
be bloody careful with one's defcustoms in that file.)

--
`I put "Update To-Do List" on my to-do list. I'm never sure whether or
 not to tick it off.' --- Simon Cozens