On 2012-10-13 19:57 +0800, Roland Winkler wrote:
> Can you please be more specific? Under what circumstances did BBDB
> what, which now it does not do anymore?

Create a bbdb db with two duplicate records and each has an email.

Try completing emails in gnus or whatever mailer.

Type a substring that matches both emails and complete. Only one email
address is completed. The other is ignored.

>> BTW, I personally think not having a UID field is a bad design from the
>> beginning. There is nothing in a record that can uniquely identify a
>> record.
>
> When does this matter? Please explain. BBDB has the features it
> needed for what people expected from it. Revising the "design
> from the beginning" is not so easy after 20 years.
>
> Also, is this related to BBDB's handling of duplicates? If not,
> please open a new thread. Otherwise things tend to get lost.

Yes, it is related. The way BBDB3 handles duplicates is pretty bad. Try
to create two records with the same name. It throws an error in emacs
-q. In reality, people with same name are not uncommon.

Leo