On Sun Feb 3 2013 Sriram Karra wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Sriram Karra <karra....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   On Saturday, February 2, 2013, Roland Winkler wrote
>     Currently I am hesitant to make such changes because it could become
>     difficult to ensure the overall consistency between what happens in
>     different parts of BBDB.  I'll keep your patch in mind, but I do not
>     want to promise that I want to add such a patch in the near future.
>
> Although I leave the final call on this to you, I am just a bit
> curious because I feel your position stated above is somewhat
> different from the one in our earlier thread, reproduced in part
> below. Specifically I took the earlier conversation to mean you
> had agreed that we could put in some filtering out code right now,
> even before we find a valid use case for having text properties in
> the database. Was it just a misunderstanding on my part?

I am not sure I understand what you mean. What do you mean here by
"filtering out code"? Where should this happen? Do you want to
change things high-level, where we feed BBDB, or low-level, where
things are actually stored in the db, or do you want to change
things "somewhere in between"?

What I wanted to say below refered to the first and the last of the
above three issues:

- When grabbing text for BBDB, the respective high-level code should
  make sure that text properties ARE removed so that they do not
  enter BBDB (because currently BBDB cannot make use of them).

  Yet as a matter of clarity it should be clear where this cleaning
  happens.

- "Somewhere in between" high- and low-level code, the BBDB should
  make sure that text properties are NOT removed by function calls
  such as substring-no-properties that can be replaced by calls
  such as substring.

Once there are more meaningful applications for these text
properties in BBDB (I have some rather vague ideas in mind, too
vague to get into any coding efforts), then one can think about the
last step of how to include text properties low-level in the db
itself, including a user variable that disables this feature without
corrupting the overall integrity of the database. As I am a bit
worried about the last point, I do not want to do anything along
these lines before I have thought it through more carefully.

Does this make sense?

Roland